The Family Photography SESSION Unveiled
Family photography is a treasured art that captures the essence of love, connections, and precious moments. As a professional family photographer, I have a deep understanding of the importance of making each session special and memorable. However, my clients often come to me with various questions to ensure they get the most out of their experience as possible.
In this blog, I address some of the most frequently asked questions from my clients about family photography.
- How do we choose the right location for our family photoshoot? Selecting the right location is vital for creating the atmosphere you desire in your family photos. Consider your family's personality and interests. Outdoor locations like parks, beaches, or urban settings can add a natural and relaxed feel. If you prefer a more intimate setting, consider shooting at home or a place with sentimental value.
- What should we wear for our family photoshoot? Coordinating outfits can enhance the overall look of your family photos. Opt for a colour palette that complements each other without being too matchy-matchy. Solids, subtle patterns, and layers work well. Avoid large logos or busy patterns that could distract from your family's connection. Most importantly, wear outfits that make you feel comfortable and confident. I find that neutral with a pop of colour a really nice way to coordinate outfits, think tan chinos with white and salmon/pastel blue, or bold with a navy and white combination. Alternatively, denim and white always works nicely. But remember to always dress in what you feel comfortable in and what will showcase you and your families personalities.
- How can we prepare our children for the photoshoot? Preparing kids for a photoshoot involves setting expectations and making it a fun experience. Talk to them about the photoshoot, explain that it's a chance to have fun and be themselves. Bring along their favourite toys or snacks to keep them engaged. Incorporate activities they enjoy, and let them take breaks if needed to keep the experience enjoyable.
- Can we include our pets in the family photos? Absolutely! Pets are part of the family, and including them in photos can create heartwarming moments. Communicate with your photographer beforehand about including pets, as it might influence the choice of location and poses. Having treats or a handler to assist can ensure your pets cooperate during the session.
- What's the best time of day for a family photoshoot? The golden hours shortly after sunrise and before sunset offer the most flattering and soft lighting for family photos. The light during these times is gentle and creates a warm ambiance. However, photographers are skilled at working in various lighting conditions, so discuss your preferences with your photographer to find the best time for your shoot.
- How long will the photoshoot take, and when will we receive the photos? The duration of a family photoshoot can vary depending on the number of family members and the location. Typically, sessions last about 1 to 2 hours, however the rise of the mini session can take as little as 15 minutes depending on your requirements. After the session, photographers curate and edit the best images, which can take a couple of weeks. My turn around is usually 1 - 2 weeks depending on my workload and personal committments. Discuss the timeline with your photographer, as it can vary based on their workload and editing process.
- How can we display and preserve our family photos? Professional photographers often provide a range of products to showcase your family photos. These may include high-quality prints, canvases, albums, and digital options. Discuss your preferences and budget with your photographer, and they can guide you on selecting the best ways to preserve and display your cherished family moments.
Your family's unique dynamics and love deserve to be captured authentically and artistically. By addressing these common questions, you're not only putting your clients at ease but also ensuring that their family photography experience is smooth, enjoyable, and unforgettable.